Sunday, February 14, 2010

Another Night of Judo, Another Day of Zazen

Yesterday I had the pleasure of going to the Hill Street Center, to do zazen with their sangha. Brad Warner lead the group and the topic after the sit was Zen and Sex. I'm still not sure what the point of sitting with a group is, but it is a different experience, so maybe that is it. My mind raced a lot yesterday, during my sit and at the same time the it was more quiet at times. My legs did not fall asleep, okay a tiny bit, but it was the best thus far in a 30 minute sitting. During my second sitting with a group, my leg fell asleep so much that when I stood up I almost fell over and sprained my ankle. Yeah, I still crack up on it, almost spraining my ankle from doing zazen! Classic. I learned yesterday about a buddhist food prayer, that until now I had not heard of. It seems there is much, much more reading to do. Along these lines and in the spirit of the topic, one member asked about coming up with prayer around opening the condom package. Wow, I did not see that coming. Everything I have read and heard about Soto Zen, says that Buddhism is Zazen and Zazen is Buddhism. Yesterday however seemed to show me a whole lot more.

Friday night Judo. One word description, intense. We had a good warm up followed by our standard, newaza. I missed the stand up technique series as I worked with two new guys on seionage. We then went on to form two lines facing each other to do static uchikomi to Ben's count. We did 100 I think, in sets of twenty. I miss this. As hellishly exhausting and somewhat monotonous as it is, I always feel like it helps a lot. We finished the class with tachi randori which we all love.

Tomorrow we Disc Golf

No comments:

Post a Comment